Thursday, July 26, 2012

Night time Marine Ecology Field Trip!

After a day when I had just absolutely had it with my kids we headed out for a 9:00PM field trip to look at marine life. Just so we are clear, the boys are usually in bed between 8:30 and 9:00.  I think perhaps I am a wee bit crazy!  I was second guessing myself, but the boys were so excited to be off adventuring in the dark :)  They even apologized to each other for not being nice all day.  So, off to a good start!
I tried my best to document the outing, but only had my phone with me.  I was afraid I'd drop my good camera in the water!  Please excuse the poor quality of the photos.

 The boys on the back deck ready to head out!

Looking over the dock at squid and fish.  I never knew that squid came out to feed at night.  Did you?
Two interns at the aquarium dragged a huge net out in the harbor and when they brought it ashore, we were to go through all the muck to find animals.

 C found this giant crab.

J found a flounder, a pipe fish, and many small crabs.  An eel was also found.

Here is C looking at all the collected specimens.

After we went through the net, looked at everything and released it, we walked to the end of the dock and looked at the Comb Jellies at night.  SO SO cool.  We got to see the bioluminescence!  That was pretty amazing.  I wish I had pictures, but not only did I think they wouldn't turn out right, I was scared to death that C was going to fall right in the water!
We got home around 10, called Hubby to tell him all about it, and then the boys went right off to bed. It was a really long day, but the boys had a great time.  Poor C is missing his Daddy, who hopefully will be able to catch a flight over Friday night. (fingers crossed!)

(just had to add that the boys are NOT wearing lights around their necks (although that would have been a good idea) the flash is just reflecting the reflector fabric Patagonia puts on those pull overs!)  :)

3 comments:

3 Peanuts said...

Harry would LOVE that...It sounds so fun! You are a great Mom for letting them do that when I am sure you were just ready to put them to bed!!!!

Pamela said...

Looks like so much fun! I agree with 3 Peanuts - you're a great mom for letting them do this! Once in a while it's good to break the rules :)

Gabi said...

Thanks ladies! We had such a great time that it was worth it! And the boys just thought it was the best thing ever. Probably because they know it was out of my normal behavior! ;)