Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Show Us Where You Live Friday - Living room edition

Once again, I am participating in Kelly's "Show Us Where You Live" Friday. I LOVE this idea. I love to see other homes. The Kitchen edition was so much fun! And now I bring you to our Living Room. Again, we had do quite a bit of work on this space, so I will start with the before pictures...
They were taken in the midst of our "remodel" so all our furniture is in the middle of the room. We added crown moulding (with some help from an extremely generous local contractor!!) and painted. I had some window treatments made and we found two side chairs that work well with my grandmother's furniture. (I have posted on this room before, but I don't think we had found the chairs yet...). We moved our china cabinet from the dining room into the living room and then had fun accessorizing! I mostly repurposed things I already had, plus a few additions from Target and Brimfield antique market. Ok, without further ado....the after!

This is the view from our foyer. The room off to the right is our dining room.Our china cabinet. I actually do use our china! This cabinet works really well against this wall. It was my grandmothers.
I love this little arrangement! I absolutely love my window treatments!!! The two chairs are two of our dining chairs, but they fill this space well. I had the tea set, it was a gift a few years ago, and I never had a great place for it. Table is from the Brimfield Antique Show. I think it was maybe $25! And you can't see them, but the feet are metal claw feet that match our dining room table (which you will see when we get to the Dining Room edition!)
These are the two chairs we found. I love how they mimic the lines of my grandmother's sofa and chair, yet are more contemporary. The lamp is from the Christmas Tree Shop! J gave the nautical chart to John as a gift and the colors match the new colors in our living room and its HUGE so it works great on that wall.



And finally, a picture of our china. I have Lenox Liberty. After 10 years of marriage, I still love it.

OK, on to the family room! Of course, keeping to tradition, here are the "before" pics.
We had literally just moved in, hence all the clothes on the couch! (notice my husbands embroidered pants there??)
Lots of great storage, but SO dark...
And the "After" (really just about 3 gallons of primer were used in this room alone!!) The same wonderful seamstress made these treatments that made our living room window treatments.

This (above) is the view looking in from the kitchen

View from foyer - So my big question (and never ending debate with John!) is: Do we paint the brick or not paint the brick???? Please give me your opinions!

I found these Ball Jars at Brimfield (LOVE that place....anyone want to go next week???)
Just a beachy grouping...

I made this Nantucket basket for my wedding (along with 5 smaller ones for my brides maids.) We all carried our flowers in them and they were my gift to the bridesmaids. For some reason, I haven't made another one since!!!!

Thanks for stopping by!!!

8 comments:

Natalie Meester said...

I like your wall map picture!

Rebecca Miller said...

I love the front room furniture, very nice.The architecture in the family is amazing. Completely goes with your nautical theme. Normally I am completely against painting brick I love it all natural. However I did see Nate on Oprah the other day paint a brick fireplace in a dark green and I liked it so with that in mind and with the sharp conrast to the white on the walls I'd have to say I'd paint it!

Rachel @ Moments With My Miracles said...

Our family rooms are SO similar! That's crazy! I don't know about the fireplace. I've wondered the same thing about mine so everything would just blend it. But at the same time I kind of like the contrast. The after pictures are amazing! Y'all did a great job renovating!

Chelsa said...

i love the now white built ins!

k and c's mom said...

The painted formerly dark paneling looks amazing! Good choice.

 The Morris Family said...

Love the make-over!!
Cindy

Ashley said...

What a good job! I love the rooms, you have done a beautiful job!

Gabi said...

We are not painting the brick. Love you hus!